Most people enjoy changing the style and color of their hair once in a while. Over time, these treatments can damage hair, drying it out and making it look unhealthy and unattractive. One way to revitalize damaged hair is to use one of the many excellent deep conditioners available on the market. Used appropriately, these deep conditioning products can help repair lifeless, brittle hair. Once again your hair can be healthy, bouncy, shiny and soft. You may not be familiar with these products, so we have compiled a list of the top 5 deep conditioners that we recommend.
But first, let’s talk about what’s going on with your hair, and what you should be looking for in a deep conditioner.
Finding the Deep Conditioner that’s Right for Your Hair
Choosing the deep conditioner that will work best with your hair shouldn’t be too complicated. By following some simple guidelines, and with some trial and error, you can choose a product that addresses your specific needs. It’s also important to remember that deep conditioners will work better if you’re using the right kind of shampoo (clarifying or volumizing) and other products. Check out this link to find out more about our recommendations for natural hair products. You should read this post, If you’re suffering from dry hair.
So, why are deep conditioners so important? Most of us put our hair through a lot of punishment from day to day. You may use sprays, mousse, gels and other products, not to mention curling irons and blow dryers to get the style you’re looking for. Chemical treatments like coloring, perming and straightening are also very commonplace. The cumulative effect of these habits is lots of damage to your hair. Over time it becomes dry, dull, damaged and lifeless, losing its natural beauty. A deep conditioning product can rescue your hair from the worst of this damage. It can capture and replenish your hair’s moisture, while restoring color and flexibility. Even better, using a deep conditioner can prevent more damage from occurring.
Once you understand your hair type, as well as any allergies or sensitivities that might cause you problems, it’s easy to choose the right deep conditioner. These products shouldn’t make your hair greasy or weighed-down. In order to get the product that gives you the desired result, you have to understand your hair’s condition, by which we mean, how damaged and dry your hair actually is. Here are some guidelines to understanding the current state of your hair.
- If you have dry but not damaged hair, you should look for a deep conditioner that is moisture-based. These products contain sealing ingredients to lock the moisture into each strand of hair.
- If you have damaged hair that is not especially dry, look for a deep conditioner that is protein-based. Damaged hair can be repaired by products containing hydrolyzed proteins.
- But what about hair that is both damaged and dry? In this case, look for deep conditioners that contain both protein and moisturizing ingredients.
- Avoid any product that includes ingredients like alcohol, which can further damage your hair. Natural ingredients are the best.
- Also, avoid conditioners that contain very high amounts of protein, which can also harm your hair. Getting the right balance is always the best way to go.
- And of course, staying within your budget is also crucial. Some of these products are expensive, so choose accordingly as this is a product you will be using and buying on an ongoing basis.
And now, here are our favorite deep conditioners.
The Top Five Deep Conditioners
As the name implies, this product offers ten benefits to your hair
- Deep moisturizing
- Deep penetration into hair shaft
- Keratin (a protein) treats damage
- Enhances silkiness
- Restores flexibility and strength to hair
- Protects against split ends
- Protects color
- Prevents sun damage
- Enhances shine
Use after shampooing and towel-drying your hair. Leave it on for as long as 5 minutes; then rinse it thoroughly. Most customers recommend this product highly, and reviews affirm that the product really does deliver the promised 10 benefits.
2. Africa’s Best Organics Olive Oil Extra Virgin Deep Conditioner (Up to $7)
You can use this conditioner on any type of hair. The olive oil moisturizes and strengthens hair, as well as revitalizing damaged hair. Regular use will give you silky smooth hair. Customer reviews praised this products fragrance as well as its ability to give you healthy-looking hair. It may cause some people’s hair to look greasy, especially those with fine hair. But all in all, this is a great and very affordable conditioner for all hair types.
The biggest advantage of this product is that it can be used in two different ways. You can rinse it away after use to nourish and soften your hair, or alternatively you can use it as a leave-in conditioner to moisturize deeply and prevent damage such as split ends. This conditioner works for all types of hair, regardless you your style, and is highly recommended by customer reviewers.
4. Curls Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner (Up to $27)
- Strengthens and revitalizes hair
- Increases volume and elasticity
- Ultra-moisturizes damaged and very dry hair
For best results, apply it to wet hair; then heat-treat for between 20 and 25 minutes; then rinse thoroughly. Style as usual. This conditioner is highly recommended by users.
You can use this product regardless of what type of hair you have. Even if you use it sparingly, if you apply it to wet hair, then heat treat it for around 15 or 20 minutes, you will get excellent results. This product also got great review and recommendations from customers.
Now that you’ve had a look at our recommendations, just remember that the most important factor to consider is your own hair type. Over-using these products can leave you with greasy-looking hair that’s hard to manage. You can use deep conditioning products correctly or incorrectly.
As an alternative to deep conditioners, for those who don’t want to spend as much time or money on conditioning, consider giving leave-in products a try. These leave-in conditioners can help you repair and maintain your hair easily and economically.