Great-looking hair can really give a boost to your overall appearance. Unfortunately, the quest for beautiful hair can lead many people to spend far too much money, and expensive treatments can sometimes give disappointing results.
To help you avoid this trap, we have collected some formulas and recipes to make your own conditioners at home. These all-natural ingredients are good both for you and for the planet. You can have great-looking hair without spending more than you can afford, too.
1. Yogurt, Mayonnaise and Egg White Conditioner
This might sound like an unusual combination, but it’s a highly effective conditioner that will give good results the very first time you use it. And you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now!
- ½ cup plain (unflavored) yogurt
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg white
- Using a whisk or egg beater, whip the three ingredients together in a bowl until completely combined.
- Apply the mixture to your hair, work it through from the roots to the tips, focusing a little more on the tips (where your hair is usually driest and most damaged).
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap; then wait for at least half an hour. This conditioner may drip, so be sure to protect your clothes with a towel.
- Once the mixture has been in your hair for half an hour, rinse it out thoroughly using lukewarm water.
2. Avocado Deep Conditioning Treatment
Here is another easy recipe, this time using only 2 ingredients.
- ½ ripe avocado
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Remove the peel and pit from the avocado. Mash the avocado together with the mayonnaise until the mixture is smooth and uniform in color.
- Apply the conditioner to your hair from the scalp through to the ends. Cover with plastic or a shower cap, and wait for 20 – 25 minutes.
- For a hot treatment, use your hair drier set to low, or moisten a towel with warm water and wrap it around your hair.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly using lukewarm water.
3. Tropical Paradise Conditioner
- 1 ripe avocado
- Coconut milk (preferably organic)
- Peel, pit and mash the avocado. Add the coconut milk; blend together thoroughly.
- Apply this mixture to your hair, concentrating on the ends. Wait 15 or 20 minutes.
- Rinse well.
Have fun trying out these three easy recipes, and we can guarantee that you’ll love the way they make your hair look and feel. Also, take a look at our recommendations for store-bought deep conditioning treatments as well as leave-in conditioners.
A Few More of our Favorite DIY conditioners
This is probably the most popular homemade conditioner recipe, and it is great for damaged hair.
- 1 egg white
- 5 or 6 Tbsp plain yogurt
- Separate one egg to get one egg white. Beat until frothy. Add yogurt and mix thoroughly.
- Massage mixture into scalp and hair. Wait 15 minutes to half an hour.
- Rinse completely and follow up by shampooing your hair to get the best results.
This one works well on oily hair.
- 1 tsp pureed avocado
- 1 tsp pure olive oil
- 5 to 6 drops rosemary or lavender essential oil
Mix this together and apply evenly to your hair. After 10 minutes, rinse thoroughly.
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- 5 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp local or organic honey
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Mash together all of these ingredients in a bowl until they form a smooth, even paste.
- Apply mixture to your hair. Let it sit for 15 minutes to half an hour.
- Wash the mixture out of your hair. This treatment s ideal for damaged or dry hair.
- 1 Tbsp natural apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Mix these two ingredients together in a spray or squirt bottle.
- Spray onto hair after shampooing, massaging it into the scalp too. Wait for approximately 2 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
These DIY recipes are both easy and effective, and they won’t cost you a lot of money. Whether your hair is oily, dry or normal, you can benefit from these treatments. To get the best results, use a clarifying or volumizing shampoo.